Fall Out Boy Is Back | Music Connection(Interview Pete Wentz)
on Apr. 29, 2013 Photo by: Pamela Littky
On Nov. 20, 2009, multiplatinum, Grammy-nominated rockers Fall Out Boy announced they were taking an indefinite hiatus. Bassist and chief songwriter Pete Wentz had become ubiquitous. His marriage to and subsequent divorce from singer Ashlee Simpson had turned into a celebrity gossip talking point and begun to overshadow their music. Wentz even publicly suggested the world could use a little less of him. Singer Patrick Stump went on to record a solo album. Guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley united forces to become part of heavy metal act, the Damned Things. Wentz, meanwhile, created Black Cards, a ska/electropop duo with vocalist Bebe Rexha. The future of the pop punk band from Wilmette, IL remained in doubt.
Then came February of this year, when they played the first single off their fifth studio album, Save Rock and Roll (Island), on Jimmy Kimmel Live. For the first time since 2008’s Folie A Deux, there would be new music from Fall Out Boy. They had returned.
But their resurrection raised as many questions as it answered. What was it that convinced them to reform? What does this resurgence mean for Decaydance, the imprint Wentz formed under the band’s first label, Fueled By Ramen? How had FOB’s sound changed in the intervening years? And could fans expect to see new material released in the coming years?
Wentz, who keeps himself active with all manner of endeavors including a film production company (Bartskull Films), acting (he’s appeared on One Tree Hilland Californication), writing (his book, The Boy With the Thorn in His Side, is based on his childhood nightmares) and a club (Angels & Kings, which first opened in New York and later expanded to Chicago), took time out of his whirlwind schedule to address these concerns and more in this revealing interview.
By Andy Kaufmann
MC: Is the sound of the new album different as a result of taking a hiatus? What are you doing this time around to make sure you don’t burn out?
Wentz: I feel like the sound hasn’t changed. To me, it sounds similar in that Patrick is singing over music with certain melodic structures. A lot of my friends who I’ve played it for were like, this is really different.
As far as burn-out goes, that’s the $64,000 question––how do we not get burnt out? You want it to succeed, do well, be big and be fun. But when it does well and succeeds and is fun, that’s when somebody’s quarterly stock profits depend on whether your band plays certain songs or you do certain things. That’s when it can stop being fun. I think, for all of us, it was just about having something that humanizes us. For me, it’s having my son. I think about him before anything we do.
We’ve never really done Fall Out Boy as real adults before. This is the first time where we’re doing it understanding each other’s schedules, what each other’s needs are and what each member wants out of the band.[…]
MC: How long is it going to be before we get another Fall Out Boy album? Another three or four years?
Wentz: You’ll get this one on April 16th. We’ve already started working on the next one, but we’ll see how this one does.
226 Notes/ Hide
- iamjazmine reblogged this from brue
- misslauratee likes this
- hab49 likes this
- inkedtobringyouback reblogged this from hurleyvxv
- h0rrible-kids reblogged this from day-o1d-hate
- jensenjackles reblogged this from peroxideprincess
- day-o1d-hate likes this
- day-o1d-hate reblogged this from peroxideprincess
- mistyslay likes this
- peroxideprincess reblogged this from stumpomatic
- overlordofbooty reblogged this from satanlikesbutts
- satanlikesbutts reblogged this from little-brittle-bones
- anastasiyaalejandra likes this
- patrickstahp reblogged this from mariarihannon
- gleamingtorches likes this
- prettyprettymiscalculation likes this
- celluloiclheroes likes this
- greed2605 likes this
- alltimeloathe reblogged this from anatombombatallhours
- shantelle02 likes this
- anatombombatallhours reblogged this from cumbawamba
- joinmyemoband likes this
- youletmecavein likes this
- 2--weird-2--live-2--rare-2--die likes this
- chikclok reblogged this from strangemadnesss
- jaqkbarakatt reblogged this from cumbawamba
- jaqkbarakatt likes this
- chikclok likes this
- cumbawamba likes this
- tobeleftoutinthedark likes this
- little-brittle-bones reblogged this from strangemadnesss
- shesmyvvinona likes this
- frillysocksandtears likes this
- falloutboyneverdie likes this
- alonewithjustthestars likes this
- fleetingechoes likes this
- ohhellyes-imanervouswreck likes this
- huntinginthetardis reblogged this from dark-side-of-the-rainicorn
- 15ameliapond likes this
- didyouhearhefuckedher reblogged this from mariarihannon
- maybeitstheshrooms reblogged this from dark-side-of-the-rainicorn
- ttogepii likes this
- alienemotions likes this
- dark-side-of-the-rainicorn reblogged this from falloutcats
- falloutcats reblogged this from mariarihannon
- thebreaksoverthetakeover likes this
- maylortay likes this
- tasteourviolentfuzz reblogged this from mariarihannon
- mariarihannon reblogged this from brue
- luv-the-manliner reblogged this from mariarihannon